This post is part of the Sunday Setlist blog carnival of TheWorshipCommunity.com.
In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. – Matthew 5
This morning at The Table, Malone spoke from Matthew 5 where Jesus shows us our need of a savior, our need of Him. I kept Matthew 5 and Isaiah 58 in mind in planning the worship music. We read both of these passages aloud in our service. Our walk-in songs included “Did You Feel the Mountains Tremble.” I chose this one because of the reading in Isaiah; “… is not this the fast I choose: to loose the bounds of injustice….”
Our first congregational song was “Mighty to Save,” because the bridge fits so nicely with Matthew 5 (“shine your light and let the whole world see…”). We sang “Jesus, Lover of My Soul” at the request of our priest. It speaks of our reliance on Jesus and the quality of His inexhaustible grace. Our offertory was an instrumental arrangement of “Be Thou My Vision.” I like to feature my band and I appreciate that The Table values the worshipful quality of instrumental music.
The song that will mostly be remembered, however was our closing song of Hank Williams’ “I Saw the Light.” It occurred to me that it’s a great song for Epiphany, everyone knows it, yet no one expects it. This, of course, made it perfect and tremendously fun.
Kudos to the best worship band in town: Kim Marie Folsom (percussion), Jon Brooks (bass), Phil Kuo (keys / vocals), Rob Higginbotham (guitar), Charlie Gore (pedal steel / dobro), Mary Linda Murdock (vocals), Stephen Reese (audio engineer), and Jim Williams (media engineer).
- Walk-in 1: Where I Belong (Asbury / Asbury / Yates)
- Walk-in 2: I Just Want to be with You (McClarney / Puckett / Riggs / Winn)
- Walk-in 3: Did You Feel the Mountains Tremble (Martin Smith)
- Mighty to Save (Morgan / Fielding)
- Jesus, Lover of My Soul (Wesley / Thompson)
- Offertory: Be Thou My Vision (Traditional)
- Doxology: to the tune of “O Waly Waly”
- Sanctus: Holy, Holy, Holy Lord (Peter Scholtes)
- Communion: Amazed (Jared Anderson)
- I Saw the Light (Hank Williams, Sr.)